Friday, April 18, 2008

Not on my Ideal Job List

I spent my working career as a teacher, principal and curriculum superintendent. I loved going to work everyday. The work was challenging, meaningful and enjoyable. I never regretted choosing education for a career but did at various times consider being a chemist, an archeologist or a journalist. I never had any aspirations, however, to be a beaver dam hunter!

The following article may explain my feelings of good fortune.

“An Ottawa scientist has identified what he believes to be the world's largest beaver dam in Wood Buffalo National Park in northern Alberta.

Ecologist Jean Thie, who is executive director of the Canadian Institute of Geomatics, said he discovered the 850-metre long dam while scanning satellite images for signs of climate change.

"In addition to looking at permafrost melting, I started looking at beaver dams and just scanning all of northern Canada."

"These are some of the most amazing beaver landscapes in the world," he said. "I would not be surprised if we find a longer dam there than the one we have found so far."

Is this guy for real? Here is a man who should be complaining about his job, but in fact seems elated with his purpose in life. When you get a high from looking at permafrost melting and finding big beaver dams, you are a special kind of person.

I am sure that Mr. Thie is probably also fascinated by ant colonies and watching birds fly south for the winter. He probably gets a kick out of watching a pond freeze or a tree grow. I don’t know if I would want to invite him for dinner, but I am sure he could provide a lot of insights into Arctic Ocean temperature changes and the mating habits of the fuzzy crested, horned bill northern Ptarmigan.

My ideal job list never included wanting to be a professional permafrost observer or beaver dam hunter. Even the prospect of such thrilling occupations just blows my mind!

No comments: